Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hot springs, canyons and bison...oh my!




The weather was not very cooperative today either. Cold, cloudy, periods of rain and occasional snow. Because of the weather, it was easier to get an appreciation of the amount of geothermal activity. Lots of very small hot springs that I might have missed were visible because of the steam vapors.

I saw many geysers and hot springs today, but Norris Geyser Basin was definitely the most impressive. I wanted to see Obsidian Cliffs up close but the trail was covered with very deep snow.

Yellowstone Canyon was truly impressive, but photographs do not adequately show just how steep the terrain really is.

Wildlife was in abundance today, particularly the bison. I saw hundreds today (or the same ones hundreds of times). I’m beginning to be of the opinion that if you’ve seen one bison, you’ve seen them all.

No comments: