Sunday, June 8, 2008
















After leaving Moab, I made one short stop at Arches to get a photo of the Moab Fault which controls which formations are exposed in the park.

The trip across the plateau and Rockies was mostly uneventful, except for tons of bugs on my windshield near Grand Junction. I did notice in the stretch between Parachute and Rifle at least 12 oil wells operating. There are probably more, these are just the ones visible from the interstate. I wonder if this activity has anything to do with recent trends in oil prices? Hmm...

Rocky Mountain N.P. was spectacular as usual. Of course there were the animal nuts, who couldn’t resist stopping for every critter seen from the road. It wouldn’t be so bad, except they insist on not following the park instructions, getting out of their cars and crossing fields to get close-up photos. Oh well, one of these days a moose will stomp them to death and then they will learn.

It got brutally cold at the crest of the park; the temperature there was 40 degress F, about 30 less than at the park entrance.

Tonight I’m in Boulder and tomorrow I sadly leave the mountains behind and head out across the plains.

No comments: