Friday, June 6, 2008

In Geo-heaven
















Today’s trip from Winnemucca to Moab UT, was a quasi-religious experience for an eastern geologist like me.
First was a continuation of the crossing of the desolate Basin and Range of northern Nevada. Since crossing the Sierra Nevadas I have essentially been re-tracing the route of the Donner Party on the way to their rendezvous with the mountains named for snow.

Then came the extremely flat, white expanse of the Bonneville Salt Flats. It’s true that they are so flat and cover such a large area that you can actually see the curvature of the Earth.

Heading across the Wasatch Mountains and onto the Colorado Plateau I was able to see and touch rocks and formations that previously I’ve only taught about before like the Mancos Shale and Mesaverde Group sandstones and coal.

Driving into Moab I crossed the incredibly red Entrada and Wingate Formations and tomorrow I will head out to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.

No comments: