Sunday, August 5, 2012

Crossing the Great Divide


Left Vernal today and I think Dinosaur NM is worth a return visit.  I would like to see the Gates of Lodore on the northern end of the park.  Drove across Colorado to Rocky Mountain NP.

Note the lack of snow in the Never Summer Mountains.  The snowmelt from this range feeds the Colorado River. Conditions are the same throughout the Rockies.  I realize it is August, but it's been this way for months and this does not bode well for the water supply for cities like Las Vegas, Phoenix or Los Angeles, or for irrigation agriculture.
Never Summer Mountains from Kawunechee Valley
Never Summer Mountains from Fairview Curve
Below is the Mummy Range looking eastward.  This valley is part of the Missouri-Mississippi drainage basin.
Mummy Range
Longs Peak, 14259 ft.
Alas, I say goodbye to the Rockies.  Tomorrow I head east from Cheyenne, so this will probably be my last post for a while.


No comments: